Wusthof Trident 'Classic' heavy cook's knife 36 cm (14")Use of a chef's knife
The chef's knife - also known as cook's knife - is the most essential of all knives used in the kitchen. It is used for chopping, dicing and mincing of all kind of food.
Chef's knives are available with blade lengths from 6 to 14". An 8" chef's knife is the most used chef's knife by home users; you will find it in almost any starter set. Professional users mostly use a 9 or 10" chef's knife or even larger. The larger size makes it more productive but you also need more experience to handle it (and a bigger cutting board).
The most common cutting techniques are chopping, dicing and mincing (see pictures below).
Chopping and dicing are techniques for making thin slices of e.g. cucumber or mushrooms. The index finger of the left hand is used to guide the knife while the other fingers hold the food. The mincing technique is mostly used to mince fresh herbs like parsley.
Characteristics of a precision-forged WÜSTHOF Classic knife:
- The Steel: X 50 Cr Mo 15. Select alloy of high carbon no-stain steel
- Precision forged from a single blank of steel with bolster and full tang
- Perfectly balanced for effortless cutting without fatigue
- Full bolster/finger guard for safety and protection
- Tempered blades at 56 to 58° Rockwell C
- Laser-controlled and tested cutting edge
- Classic handle design developed in consultation with professional chefs
- The WÜSTHOF name, TRIDENT-Logo and city of Solingen as place-of- manufacturing proudly etched onto every blade
Cutlery by WÜSTHOF is manufactured with the highest quality standards and exceeds the required DIN (German Industry Standard) as well as the EN (European Standard).
Beyond the legally required guarantee time, WÜSTHOF offers a very lenient unbureaucratic service covering material and workmanship defects.
For more information visit: www.wusthof.de